Tuesday 10 November 2015

Eagles (1974) Ol 55

A cover of a Tom Waits song it is often derided by many for being made into a slick commercial SoCal song lacking Waits' trademark soul baring gin soaked croak. Though I feel the raw emotions are still in this pop version in Glenn Frey's wounded vocals yearning for more time with a woman who has kicked him out early; the hurt and regret so palpable in his sweet voice. He sings along with Henley as he did on my favourite Eagles gems such as Doolin Dalton, After The Thrill is Gone, What Do I Do With My Heart and Teenage Jail.  Henley is on the more upbeat bridge, while the classic Eagles harmony stacks on the final refrains are a marked improvement on Waits original. 
A song I listened to almost daily basis when I was 22 and 23 it is very melodic and listen-able to the point of being timeless and being an ear worm.  This is also in part to the great consistent production of Eagles songs since their start with the clean pedal steel in the background and the marching band beat it's flawless in my biased opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment