Wednesday 20 July 2016

The Lovelites (1977)How Can I Tell My Mum and Dad

I started this blog a year ago now over 212 posts and 4000 page views later, I've certainly looked at a wide spectrum of great underrated music from what was the best decade for music in my opinion.

 To cap off one year of the blog and kick off the next I will look at this irresistible soul number. With the lead vocalist Patti Hamilton smooth delivery over a funky slide guitar rhythm. This manages to merge the gospel device of ' call and response' vocals that you would here in a Motown hit with the smoother, more vivid 70s style of storytelling.

 It's a breathtaking number as the teen singer shares her dilemma of being pregnant with a man who wants nothing to do with her and wondering about her parents reaction when she tells them. The strife, hurt and regret are so palpable in her restrained vocal performance. The song practically hits you with its smooth melodic and engaging tale.


No comments:

Post a Comment