Sunday 2 October 2016

Flying Burrito Brothers (1976) Northbound Bus

A great upbeat rocker with a mix of rootsy bluegrass and solid rhythm section and piano. The pop harmonies are the best in this track all about escape and nostalgia "And I think of how it used to be, when we all played together just for fun; nobody had to come on strong", "Now I've got to get away, I can't see what is coming, I think I've been around too long" and "I think about the way, I was made for my troubles, it don't seem right so I got to sing this song"


 This was the album when the Burritos went for the Eagles approach of multiple lead singers and toning down the country/bluegrass overtones in favour of the kind of rock steady pop rhythms more common in mainstream rock and soul music. 
After all in the past four years the Eagles overtook them and all country rock artists in sales, virtually going airborne themselves with the multi platinum Greatest Hits 71-75 album selling a million copies a month for almost two years. All competition in countrified rock couldn't help but pale though this a rare track is hook laden enough to merit mainstream attention



No comments:

Post a Comment