Monday 13 November 2017

Ambrosia (1976) Harvey - LOST 70s GEMS

Ambrosia had shades of arena pop rock, such as those bands incorporated into the Corporate rock Label, like a more pop focused less violin version of Kansas. On their second album Somewhere I've Travelled, they ironically became less interesting but they did possess a cool, urban soft pop rock sound in the smooth RnB keyboards/lush harmonies combo that was their trademark. Whilst also boasting some long Bohemian Rhapsody-esque suites like Danse with George and Cowboy Star, which are steeped in dramatic shifts ranging from Chopin based interludes, calypso tempos, elephant sound effects, screeching strings sections, eery monologues, Bachian keyboard, cowboy ditties not to mention quirks like in hand claps, tin pot drum and purely acoustic or synthesizer driven passages. Some tracks here like Can't Let a Woman carry a pre Rush sound of anthemic synth rock full of symphonic grandeur best understated with giant string sections that were absent from their 74 debut.

 But the one that takes me is the short 1:29 acoustic, reverb soaked parable that sounds like a 2010s song, with its forced warbling and on the nose lyrics but it is still full of truisms I can relate. It is a companion to the 46 second And which is written by the drummer and is also far too short with it's own incandescent vocal delivery and perfect melody.
Full lyrics for Harvey is below;

All this time All this worry All this way to go For nothin' What's the sense Of the hurry? You tell me If you sense somethin' I dreamed a lot when I was younger I'm older now, and still I hunger For some understanding There's no understanding now Was there ever? One thin line Draws the border Between madness and the genius But no pen can erase it So we keep these things between us I dreamed a lot when I was younger I'm older now, and still I hunger For some understanding There's no understanding, now Was there ever? And my front brain would not accept my thinker See? No kiddin'




No comments:

Post a Comment