Thursday 1 March 2018

Blue (1973) I Wish I Could Fly- LOST 70s GEMS

 This Scottish pop rock trio wrote this beautiful blues number; it has a classic opening with a minor key piano part that seems to tell you everything, it is punctuated by electric guitar strikes. The sincerity of the singer's voice and it's unfiltered melancholy along with the descending piano progression sounds like a confessional.
 The singer's delivery sounds so honest and unvarnished, his desire to escape and achieve the things he wants. It hits hard when he sings about his 'troubled mind' or brutally earnest statements such as 'I have happiness within me, but very soon I'm left without' or how 'everything I've ever dreamed about, is still lying on the shelf' it's heartrendingly pure and feels incredibly close. 

It's a bleak song devoid of any warmth just despair dripping from every word, with the desperation and hopelessness peaking in the angelic chorus of 'I wish I could fly, fly away, leave today'. The guitar solo also cuts deep with it's warbling rock distortion cutting through the rootsy piano in an immaculate contrast like the piano/guitar opening; this is not blue eyed soul or plastic soul but real soul. I wish they produced more material such as this, they were signed to RSO, the Bee Gees label but remained in Blue Mink Grass Roots' league of bubblegum pop soul, instead only remembered by some for their ridiculous claim in court that people would confuse them with the boy band Blue.


No comments:

Post a Comment