Friday 18 May 2018

Splinter (1975) Split Crow Road - LOST 70s GEMS

A duo from the mid 70s famous for a modest top 40 hit called Costafina Town and releasing several albums on George Harrison' Dark Horse record label I must admit I am biased to this group. I have their whole discography as their sound is my ideal 70s style, it has everything I like in One group which has yet to happen. They have folk-rock raw acoustic soft rock sound as well as funky disco tunes like England Dan and John Ford Coley singing Bee Gees and Eagles material.

I Apologize has the most soaring blue eyed soul vocals particularly in the second call and response verse as the falsetto singer' vocal gymnastics as he delivers the line 'I don't blame you anymoooreehorre'.

Yes they do occasionally sound very beatlesque in some of their vocals like Lennon or Harrison' raspiness. But as a song I will choose Split Crow Road , a commercial folk rocker with their serene harmonies foregrounded as usual as well a bright acoustic strumming mixed nice and raw as a counterpoint, the memorable chorus of "I didn't think I'd cry when it came down. But how wrong can you be?" Stylistically, arrangement wise, production wise, songwriting wise and singing wise this duo are my cup of tea/spirit animal/my sound..shame no one really knows them. Just love the little playful chuckle at the end of the tune these guys know how good they sound.



No comments:

Post a Comment