Thursday 30 August 2018

John Denver (1970) Carolina in my Mind - LOST 70s GEMS

Denver's third album and first eligible for this blog, Take Me to Tomorrow, sees his spirited vocals bathed in a glowing deep register and while there are some strong originals such as Anthem-Revolution, with it's faux 60s flower power style, the album's best song and choice for this post is a cover. The title track is a funky carnival number with Purdie shuffle drumming, Follow Me has incredible echoed harmonies and Aspenglow is an early fore runner to Country Roads with it's ancient twinkly beauty, . However I like Carolina in my Mind features Denver's most celestial vocals, possibly revered or multitracked for supreme heavenliness it's a fabulous cover with its multilayered acoustic backing making it a 'More is More' interpretation of the sparse James Taylor classic.

Sidenote; I've always wondered who his voice reminds me of and i think I may have figured it out; some of his nasal folky vocals remind me of Don Maclean, particularly on folk numbers such as Jimmy Newman and Molly, where he goes full ragged, old worldly shanty spirit with a Dylanesque uprightness.


No comments:

Post a Comment