Sunday 12 August 2018

The Stills Young Band (1976) Fontainebleu - LOST 70s GEMS

This infamously short lived reunion of former bandmates Neil Young and Stephen Stills may have ended mid tour but did produce a nice sounding album, with yacht rock tunes that suited Youngs voice like Ocean Girl, Midnight in the Bay etc, one striking track called Fontainebleu. While the politics is lost on me, it seems to be about class conflict, the hallowed chorus sings the title in a long soothing ooh as "fontainebloooo" while the track features very aggressive toned blues guitar more likely from Young than Stills; Stills had the smooth guitar tone and gritty voice while Young has the smooth voice and gritty guitar sound.


The best moment in the song is the following lyric where Young is about sing the word 'shit' but instead pauses ever so slightly before returning to the chorus.

"I'm so scared of it
Is I stayed there once and I almost fit
I left before I got out of it
People were drownin' in their own...Fontainebleau"

It's the type of ingenious and sly tease a rapper would do and is my favourite part of the song, hearing it today I knew this little moment was worthy of a post!


No comments:

Post a Comment